For 2019, Volkswagen Australia has revealed full pricing and specification info for the full range of the Mk7.5 Golf, which should be arriving in showrooms right now, including various body styles as well as the hot GTI and R. We know from the previous announcement that the 2019 Golf will be streamlined to 12 main variants.
Volkswagen Australia General Manager of Product and Marketing, Ben Wilks, said: "Volkswagen doesn't have to make big claims for the primacy of its best-selling range. That the Golf remains the benchmark small car is reportorial fact. Customers agree with critics. More than 70 per cent of Golf sales are of variants priced at more than $30,000. The GTI and R continue to comprise some 25% of all Golf sales.”
They’ve been quite logical about which models end up on the chopping block here, and the most notable execution has been the entry-level 110TSI, replaced by the Golf Trendline, raising the minimum price of ownership by $1,000. More interestingly, the newly implemented WLTP standard for fuel consumption and exhaust emissions have resulted in the extinction of some prior available diesels.
The $24,990 Trendline’s engine produces 110kW (duh) and 250Nm and a 6-speed manual transmission which can upgraded to a automatic for an extra $3,000. Other highlights of its standard kit list are an 8-inch touchscreen infotainment system, Apple CarPlay and Android Auto connectivity, AEB with Pedestrian Monitoring, 7 airbags, Driver Fatigue Detection, and LED tail lights.
The rest of the less bloated 2019 range is otherwise quite familiar to their configuration for 2018. However, this 2019 shuffle has benefitted the GTI a lot more so than the others as it now receives the Active Info Display digital instrument cluster and the formerly optional Driver Assistance Pack as standard.
Under its bonnet is a 2.0-litre turbocharged four-cylinder TSI petrol, as you’d expect, producing 180kW and 370Nm mated to a 7-speed wet clutch DSG dual-clutch transmission. Additionally, it will also now arrive with upgrades lifted from the Performance Edition 1, including an electronic locking front differential and the ventilated front and rear disc brake package.
- Golf Trendline - 110kW TSI - 6-speed Manual - $24,990
- Golf Trendline - 110kW TSI - 7-speed DSG - $27,490
- Golf Trendline Wagon - 110kW TSI - 7-speed DSG - $28,990
- Golf Comfortline - 110kW TSI - 7-speed DSG - $29,750
- Golf Comfortline Wagon - 110kW TSI - 7-speed DSG - $31,250
- Golf Highline - 110kW TSI - 7-speed DSG - $35,990
- Golf Highline Wagon - 110kW TSI - 7-speed DSG - $37,490
- Golf Alltrack - 132kW TSI - 6-speed DSG - $35,250
- Golf Alltrack Premium - 132kW TSI - 6-speed DSG - $39,490
- Golf GTI - 180kW TSI - 7-speed DSG - $45,490
- Golf R - 213kW TSI - 7-speed DSG - $56,490
- Golf R Wagon - 213kW TSI - 7-speed DSG - $58,490