Mazda Australia have announced details of the updated CX-5 for the 2019 year, bringing a litany of improvements to the already accomplished second-generation model. Naturally, the equipment list has been impacted significantly, but the other headlining feature is the inclusion of the company’s new turbocharged petrol engine to the range.
The engine first made its appearance in the larger CX-9 before trickling down to the Mazda6 and here in the CX-5 the tune has not been diminished, meaning the full 170kW and 420Nm experience can be enjoyed in a lighter and more compact package, but comes as a $2,500 premium.
This is in addition to the existing 2.5-litre non-turbocharged four-cylinder and 2.2-litre turbodiesel that powers the lesser variants as the new SkyActiv turbo motor is reserved for the CX-5 in top-spec Akera and GT guises.
Mazda now includes their i-Activesense pre collision safety suite on all CX-5 variants, meaning premium active safety features such as AEB, adaptive cruise control, automatic high beam, lane-keep assist, and even a driver fatigue monitor are now made standard fit across the range.
An updated G-Vectoring Control system is also included for the 2019 update, adding something called ‘direct yaw movement control’ into the mix to help the car straighten up after a corner at at higher speeds, making for more surefooted and stable highway manners.
Inside, the cabin stays nearly identical save for a few tasteful touches. The CX-5 now addresses the occasionally criticised rotary knob feel, which were knocked for its plastic and unweighted engagement in Mazdas previously. Now they are milled from a more premium material and given a new texture for improved tactility.
Additionally, there’s frameless rear-view mirror, ambient cabin lighting in more expensive variants, though having Apple CarPlay and Android Auto support baked into its MZD Connect infotainment system is one feature that is thankfully made uniform across the 2019 CX-5 range.
- CX-5 Maxx - 2.0-litre Petrol - FWD - 6-speed manual - $29,770
- CX-5 Maxx - 2.0-litre Petrol - FWD - 6-speed automatic - $31,770
- CX-5 Maxx - 2.5-litre Petrol - AWD - 6-speed automatic - $34,770
- CX-5 Maxx Sport - 2.0-litre Petrol - FWD - 6-speed automatic - $34,870
- CX-5 Maxx Sport - 2.5-litre Petrol - AWD - 6-speed automatic - $37,870
- CX-5 Maxx Sport - 2.2-litre Diesel - AWD - 6-speed automatic - $40,870
- CX-5 Touring - 2.5-litre Petrol - AWD - 6-speed automatic - $39,470
- CX-5 Touring - 2.2-litre Petrol - AWD - 6-speed automatic - $42,470
- CX-5 GT - 2.5-litre Petrol - AWD - 6-speed automatic - $44,470
- CX-5 GT - 2.2-litre Diesel— AWD - 6-speed automatic - $47,470
- CX-5 GT - 2.5-litre Turbo-Petrol - AWD - 6-speed automatic - $46,970
- CX-5 Akera - 2.5-litre Petrol - AWD - 6-speed automatic - $46,670
- CX-5 Akera - 2.2-litre Diesel - AWD - 6-speed automatic - $49,670
- CX-5 Akera - 2.5-litre Turbp-Petrol - AWD - 6-speed automatic - $49,170