The world’s best-selling roadster, the Mazda MX-5, has not changed much since the car made its local debut in 2015 in fourth-generation ND guise. But for 2018, the eminent sports car has emerged with its first small evolution.
Not much improvement was needed with the car to begin with in terms of its dynamics, but certain course corrections were warranted with its refinement levels and daily usability, and indeed there have been progress on these fronts. Both the soft-top and RF variants benefit from improved NVH levels (noise, vibration, and harshness), with more sound isolation applied more strategically and over a wider area.
Using knowledge gained with the RF’s development, Mazda has made some adjustments to the roadster’s suspension tune to realise a more comfortable ride overall. Specifically, its rear upper link bushings are now lowered while the rear bump stop lengthened.
In terms of equipment, the GT spec MX-5 will now include more standard equipment. Of note are adaptive LED headlamps and, new to the range, Lane Departure Warning - its system using windscreen-mounted cameras to detect when the car is about to stray form its lane unintentionally.
Additionally, the brand’s newest signature exterior colour, Soul Red Metallic, finally makes it to Mazda’s popular roadster along with the more sophisticated Machine Grey Metallic. To match, Mazda also gives buyers the option of a bright aluminium finish on the 1.5-litre Roadster GT variant’s 16-inch wheels.
With the updated specifications, Mazda has had to increase prices slightly. Thus, the range will start from $33,440, which is an $100 increase over the 2017 model. At the higher end of the spectrum, the MX-5 in better specified GT form, with its significant bumps in standard equipment, lobs in from $39,660.
- 1.5 Roadster - Manual - $33,440 (+$100)
- 1.5 Roadster - Automatic - $35,440 (+100)
- 1.5 Roadster GT - Manual - $39,660 (+$1,320)
- 1.5 Roadster GT - Automatic - $41,660 (+$1,320)
- 2.0 Roadster - Manual - $34,950 (+$100)
- 2.0 Roadster - Automatic - $36,950 (+$100)
- 2.0 Roadster GT - Manual - $41,210 (+$1,320)
- 2.0 Roadster GT - Automatic - $43,210 (+$1,320)
- 2.0 RF - Manual - $38,650 (+$100)
- 2.0 RF- Automatic - $40,650 (+$100)
- 2.0 RF GT - Manual - $45,210 (+$1,320)
- 2.0 RF GT - Automatic - $47,210 (+$1,320)
- 2.0 RF GT with Black Roof - Manual - $46,210 ($1,320)
- 2.0 RF GT with Black Roof - Manual - $48,210 ($1,320)
- 2.0 RF Limited Edition - Manual - $52,210