Earlier this month, we brought you news that the former head of SEAT was rumoured to be in contention for the top spot at Renault SA. Yesterday, a statement from the French automaker confirmed the rumour. Luca de Meo is officially the chief executive officer of Renault.
Meo’s appointment follows the chaos that engulfed the group after the ousting of former boss Carlos Ghosn over a year ago. That said, Meo certainly has his work cut out for him. The 52-year old Italian’s uphill battle includes not just repairing the strained relationship with their alliance partner but to also recoup falling sales figures.
According to a statement by the company, Meo’s appointment comes into effect starting the 1st of July 2020. Until that that time, current interim CEO, Clotilde Delbos holds the reins of the company. Delbos will thereafter be appointed to the position of deputy chief executive officer.
Mr. Jean-Dominique Senard, Chairman of the Board of Directors, said: “I am delighted with this new governance, which marks a decisive step for the Group and for the Alliance. Luca de Meo is a great strategist and visionary of a rapidly changing automotive world. His expertise but also his passion for cars make him a real asset for the Group. I also thank Clotilde Delbos who provides interim management of the Group in an exceptional manner. She has demonstrated day after day her commitment and determination in the service of Renault. Together, with the support of a renewed and strengthened executive committee, they will form a high-quality, multi-talented team equal to Renault's ambitions."
The Financial Times reported that in a statement on Wednesday, Makoto Uchida, Nissan’s CEO who was appointed last month, said: “We are all looking forward to working closely with [Mr de Meo] and our Alliance partners in our efforts to support mutually profitable growth.”
For more information on Renault and the best deal on your next brand-new car, please visit our Showroom.