To even a discerning observer, the 2017 Isuzu D-Max and MU-X duo looks awfully similar to the ones found in showrooms last year. And they do indeed. But there are some subtle styling differences, though the biggest change comes from the powertrain and some equipment upgrades.
They both now share a revised engine, a 3.0-litre four-cylinder turbodiesel motor that offers up the same 130kW but has 50Nm more torque, though the peak starts from higher in the rev range at 2,000rpm.
It’s mated to either an Isuzu-developed 5-speed manual or 6-speed automatic sourced from Aisin. The changes to the engine and its power delivery were based on research into the needs and demands of existing Isuzu owners and also makes it the first of either model to feature a Euro5-compliant 3.0-litre diesel engine.
Isuzu claims the new 4JJ1-TC motor is 5 percent more frugal, but as yet has not revealed official fuel consumption figures. We don’t expect them to be dramatically different from the outgoing engine, however.
Specific to the 2017 D-Max, there are minor visual alterations consisting of a new bonnet, front bumper, grille, headlights, and integrated LED daytime running lights (LS only). There’s a standard 7.0-inch touchscreen infotainment unit or an 8-inch version with navigation on higher-spec variants along with a reversing camera.
The 7-seater MU-X, however, has an unchanged exterior to the 2016 version, giving the D-Max a slight visual edge, but as mentioned, it does receive that improved engine and transmissions options.
Inside, too, there’s a 7-inch infotainment system that grows to an 8-inch unit with satellite navigation further up the ladder. All new MU-Xs also benefit from more sound insulation being stuffed between the engine bay and all around the cabin for a more refined on-road experience.
2017 Isuzu D-Max
- SX Single Cab Chassis - Manual - $28,500
- SX Single Cab Chassis Hi-Ride - Auto - $31,700
- SX Crew Cab Chassis Hi-Ride - Auto - $37,300
- SX Space Cab Ute Hi-Ride - Auto - $35,500
- SX Crew Cab Ute - Manual - $34,500
- SX Crew Cab Ute Hi-Ride - Auto - $38,000
- EX Single Cab Chassis/Hi-Ride - Manual - $34,800
- SX Single Cab Chassis/Hi-Ride - Manual - $38,000
- SX Single Cab Chassis/Hi-Ride - Auto - $40,100
- SX Space Cab Chassis/Hi-Ride - Manual - $40,700
- SX Space Cab Chassis/Hi-Ride - Auto - $42,800
- SX Crew Cab Chassis/Hi-Ride - Manual - $43,200
- SX Crew Cab Chassis/Hi-Ride - Auto - $45,300
- SX Crew Cab Ute - Manual - $43,900
- SX Crew Cab Ute - Auto - $46,000
- LS-M Crew Cab Ute - Manual - $46,400
- LS-M Crew Cab Ute - Auto - $48,500
- LS-U Space Cab Ute - Manual - $46,200
- LS-U Space Cab Ute - Auto - $48,300
- LS-U Crew Cab Ute - Manual - $48,300
- LS-U Crew Cab Ute - Auto - $50,400
- LS-T Crew Cab Ute - Auto - $54,200
2016.5 Isuzu MU-X
- LS-M - Auto - $41,800
- LS-U - Auto - $43,800
- LS-T - Auto - $47,500
- LS-M - Manual - $47,700
- LS-M - Auto - $49,100
- LS-U - Manual - $49,000
- LS-U - Auto - $51,100
- LS-T - Auto - $54,800