BMW has been running through their current line-up of cars to fill them up with some revised divisions of kit and, crucially, updated them with their newest tech, most recently with the 1 Series and 3 Series. Now comes the turn of the 2 Series.
These changes definitely land within the category of incremental year-over-year changes rather than being any sort of facelift or mid-cycle refresh, and as such may not have jumped out at you if you sat in 2017 car or a very slightly older 2016 model. But with the 2 Series for the 2017 model year, there are some notable visual newness with a fresh front and rear bumper design, classifying this update as an LCI (Life-Cycle Impulse) the BMW universe.
Starting off, new pricing has been announced by BMW Australia, and unfortunately they’ve risen across the entire range. Both the 220i Coupe and Convertible has seen a $1,600 hike to a respective $52,900 and $59,900, continuing the same $7,000 price gulf between having a fixed roof or a retractable one at the entry level.
Moving up, the 230i Coupe is $1,100 dearer at $63,000 while the equivalent Convertible is priced at $73,000. Finally, the M in-between of the 2 Series family, the M240i, starts at $76,000 while its Convertible counterpart has an asking price of $85,800, amounting to a $1,900 increase.
Do note, though, that just last week BMW Australia slashed nearly $5,000 from the price of the M140i, a car that uses the same drivetrain and basically the same chassis, and that’s looking like even more of a bargain if you’re willing to forego the extra style points of the two-door form factor.
So what do we get for the extra cash? Bimmer have added new bi-LED headlights as standard while the range-topping (the M2, though related, is classified as a standalone model) M240i receives Adaptive illuminators up front. The new rear bumper design hugs the new L-shape LED tail lights, and round out the visual updates.
Thankfully, there’s more to enjoy upon stepping into the 2017 model year 2 Series. While the layout is typical BMW, the newest iDrive 6 infotainment system has been added across the range, with touch control brought to the 8.8-inch Navigation System Professional unit.
This is accompanied by new design stitching, Pearl Chrome trim finishers, chrome window button elements, and high-gloss black centre console accents. There’s also a new Dakota leather option that alters the finish on the upholstery and trim to a fine Cognac shade.
Following last year’s engine updated engines, the 2017 models carry over those motors with familiar specification. Both the 220i and 230i use the same B48 2.0-litre four-cylinder petrol, though the entry model’s tune is set to 135kW and 270Nm while the more expensive mid-ranger is afforded a healthier 185kW and 350Nm. Lastly, the M240i’s 3.0-litre B58 straight-six produces 250kW and 500Nm for proper sports car performance and a 0-100km/h sprint time of 4.6 seconds. As before, both these engines are mated to the ZF 8-speed automatic transmission.
- 220i Coupe - $52,900
- 220i Convertible - $59,900
- 230i Coupe - $63,000
- 230i Convertible - $73,000
- M240i Coupe - $76,800
- M240i Convertible - $85,800
Here’s a breakdown of the specific features that come with each variant of the revised 2 Series for 2017:
- Luxury Line
- 17-inch light-alloy wheels
- LED Headlights
- LED Fog Lights
- Driving Assistant
- DAB+ Digital radio capability
- Interior and exterior mirrors with anti-dazzle function
- Eight-speed sport automatic transmission
- Navigation System Business with iDrive6 functionality
- Automatic climate control
- DAB+ radio capability
- Rear view camera
- Speed Limit Info
- Sport leather steering wheel
- Sports seats for driver and front passenger, finished in Dakota leather upholstery
- Front and rear park distance control
- Extended smartphone connectivity
- Extended instrument cluster contents
- BMW ConnectedDrive suite with ConnectedDrive services, remote services, Teleservices, emergency e-call and Real-Time Traffic Information
BMW 230i (in addition to 220i)
- M Sport Package with M Sport suspension
- 18-inch light-alloy wheels in Ferric Grey
- M Aerodynamics Package
- M Sport brakes
- High-gloss Shadow line exterior trim
- BMW Individual anthracite roofliner
- M leather steering wheel
- Cloth/Alcantara upholstery (Coupe)
- Dakota Leather Upholstery (Convertible)
- Navigation System Professional with iDrive6 functionality and 8.8-inch touchscreen
- Electric seat adjustment
- Comfort Access
- Variable Sport Steering
- Seat Heating (Convertible)
BMW M240i (in addition to 230i)
- 18-inch light-alloy wheels in Bicolour Jet Black
- 12-speaker harman/kardon surround sound system
- Adaptive M Suspension
- Adaptive LED Headlights
- Dakota leather upholstery
- Seat Heating